Thursday, March 24, 2022

Vintage Recipes

425.  I have been a collector of recipes since I was around 10 years old.  Always under my mother's feet when she was baking and sneaking licks and globs of dough.  Licking the mixing beaters was never enough!  Cookie dough, cake batter, frostings and raw raised dough was a weakness for me.  

My mother had recipe pamphlets that would come inside the flour bags.  Booklets available in the baking aisle of the market and small paper pamphlets that contained some of the best recipes.  I have to admit, it had become a passion of mine to sit and copy the recipes.  Until one day, I decided to cut out the pictures to glue to my handwritten recipes. 

Yes, my mother was so patient with me, although, I ruined many a recipe with holes cut out of the ingredient list or directions.  

She also had recipes from friends, each recipe tried and true, dog-eared, a favorite or a staple. Each recipe is such a treasure!  She also had recipes from my paternal grandmother and they were old when she received them.  
It is interesting to see the ingredients from the older recipes such as "Spry" or "Oleo", substitutes for butter.  I cherish all these memories and using these recipes to create delicious treats for my family and others is so fulfilling.

"A recipe is a story that ends with a good meal."
~ Pat Conroy

"I think baking is very rewarding, and if you follow a good recipe, you will get success." 
~  Mary Berry

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin