Monday, October 29, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

287.  A new food market opened in our neighborhood called Fairway.  I love all the extra special items you can pick up there.  Fresh roasted coffee, seafood, cheeses from all over the world. And items I usually drove to Amish country for.  As I walked through the frozen section I spotted frozen rhubarb.  I have never seen this in our regular grocery store.
I grew rhubarb in my garden years ago but it doesn't seem to like the soil in my garden now.
Frozen rhubarb is exciting!  So I looked a little more and found frozen strawberries and now I had a plan...Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!
 You need pie dough for a two crust pie.  Roll out the first crust and place it in your pie plate.
Pour frozen rhubarb and strawberries into a mixing bowl.  Add 2 cups sugar and 4 Tablespoons tapioca.  Zest a lemon and add about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest.  Mix all together and set aside till the fruit thaws.
 Mix the fruit to completely cover with sugar and tapioca.
 As the fruit rests and thaws, roll out the second crust and cut it in strips to make a lattice top pie.
 Once the fruit is thawed, pour into your pie crust.
 Take the strips of dough and make a lattice cross pattern over the pie placing closely together so the tapioca and fruit can create steam to cook the filling.
 Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
 This is a beautiful pie and you don't have to wait for Strawberry season...just check your local Trader Joes or Grocery store.
"Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow.  The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
~Abraham Lincoln

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin