Saturday, July 31, 2010

Cucuzza Squash

166. Fritz and I were in the garden the other day and we realized our Cucuzza Squash was ready to pick!
In May, my honey and I prepared our little plot of land to plant several garden plants. Tomatoes, eggplant, basil, peppers and zucchini. Our backyard is very shaded and the only area with sun is along our fence. This little garden has produced wonderfully in past years. Just enough to handle with our busy schedules.
This is how beautifully it has grown by mid July.
But my story is about these wonderful zucchini plants. Easy to grow, always produce beautifully. I even found a cute sign to place next to them. This year I rotated all my plants and placed the zucchini against the fence so it wouldn't be bothered or the leaves disturbed, which is the key to a healthy zucchini plant. There just happened to be a trellis at this spot.
I am so glad I did because within two weeks, to my surprise, these were not zucchini plants but "Cucuzza" Squash plants. Let's just say, it was like planting the bean that Jack bought! The vines started to grow upwards, wrapping around everything in site. And then I realized this was not just a simple plant but an adventure.
What is a Cucuzza Squash you ask? It is part of the squash family and grows very long. You can prepare it in recipes as you would for zucchini or summer squash. The flowers bloom in the evening and all night long. You have to check out this website: CucuzzaSquash.com and listen to the hilarious song "My Cucuzza" by Louis Prima.
I have heard this squash called many different names before and I have tasted it. Some call it "Guguts", "Cuccuzi" or "Cuzzcuzz" Squash.
The first squash grew to be 24" in length! Amazing! And it was so beautiful.
I washed and sliced it into 1" slices.
Take a small casserole dish and spray it with oil and spoon prepared tomato sauce in the bottom. I layered the Cucuzza across the bottom, and sprinkled it with mozzarella cheese. Then, I repeated a second layer till all the rounds were used. I then sprinkled the top with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Then baked it, covered, for approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees. Don't forget to remove the cover during the last 10 minutes so the cheese can brown. You could also add sweet Italian sausage by placing small slices or meatballs around the squash.
It turned out lovely. The Cucuzza Squash is very mild and will compliment this dish. Using it in a vegetable lasagna would be a great idea as well.


"Now you can have your pasta and your Chicken Cacciatore. I'd rather have cucuzza cause for me it means I'm more. So when the moon is shinin' brite from dear old Napolí. I dream of my cucuzza she's the only dish for me!"
~Louis Prima

11 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Don't know that I have ever had cucuzza squash, but that looks good. Great looking garden.
Thanks for reading along - hope I don't get to boring for you. :D

BECKY said...

Hi Lilly!
Thanks for poppin in to say hello. Looks like your blog is a full on foodie blog! Everything looks so scrumptious! This squash casserole sound yummy. Never heard of this variety before.

Hope your Sunday is delightful!
HUGS,
Becky

P.S. Do you still do any crafts?

Housewife Bliss said...

I am off to find out if I can get them at our local grocer, looks yummy.

Marsha's Mpressions said...

Your garden is great! I have been trying to talk my husband into planting a small garden (we have a very small yard.) I'm going to show him yours and maybe he'll be inspired for next year anyway!

Beedeebabee said...

Oh Lilly, what a great garden, and that cuzuzza is something else! How fun to grow those!...As usual, your gorgeous food photos made me hungry as soon as I saw them! Now I have to go up to the kitchen, and scrounge around!...Thanks so much for your sweet visit, and kind words. Yes, how nice it would be to share a piece of pie, together! ;) Paulette

Esther said...

What a beautiful garden! I had never heard of cucuzza squash, but your recipe makes it look so appetizing.

Holly said...

I have never had this variety of squash but now I will be on the lookout...I always love trying new things. Beautiful shot of your garden/yard up there too!

Joanne Kennedy said...

I've never heard of those before. Though you dish looks wonderful! Also, since I don't eat meat at all I'm with you when you say you would rather this dish then the chicken one.

What kind of squash do they taste like? Any of the other ones?

Hugs,
Joanne

Lilly's Home said...

Becky, my crafting days are limited lately, but when I have time, I like to do many things.

And...Joanne...the squash is very mild and is similar to summer squash and zucchini.

Thanks for your comments!!

Lilly

The Fajdich Times said...

I am so glad you stopped by! I love your blog. Your garden is great!! Hope to see you around:)

Tiffanee said...

Love your garden!! I have never heard of this kind of squash before. How interesting. Looks delicious though!! What a fun adventure!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin