Monday, March 28, 2011

Lemon Luscious Bars

207. When I think of dessert flavors that reign supreme to my palate, I have to say lemon is right up there next to peanut butter. Yes, I love chocolate, but when given a choice between peanut butter, lemon or chocolate flavors, I would choose in that order.
Once I heard Queen Martha say that lemon was one of her favorite choices as well...hmmm.
This recipe is a favorite of mine. My sister would make these yummy Lemon Bars from a Charlie Brown Cookbook when we were kids. Won me over every time! I found the recipe in a Taste Of Home Magazine but have improvised it to make it my own. You could make these bars lime flavored as well, just substitute the lemon juice and zest for lime. I always double this recipe because it disappears too fast. This recipe is also a beautiful and tasty addition to your Easter dessert buffet.

Lemon Luscious Bars

Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup butter
pinch of kosher salt

Stir together the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until the mixture clings together. Pat into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking dish or pan; Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

Lemon (or Lime) Filling:
2 eggs, large
3/4 cup sugar
zest of one large lemon, (or 2 limes)
6 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, (or limes)
1 drop yellow liquid food coloring, (or green for lime bars)
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Confectioner's sugar for dusting

Beat eggs in a mixing bowl; add sugar, zest, lemon juice and drop of food coloring. Beat till thick and smooth and light yellow, approximately 8 minutes. Sift together flour and baking powder. Add to the egg mixture and blend till all the ingredients are moist and incorporated. Gently pour the egg mixture over the baked crust. Return to oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes till slightly browning on edges. Cool slightly and dustconfectioners sugar over the entire surface. Cool, cut into squares.

"When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade."
~Dale Carnegie

"Martha Stewart showed up at Manhattan FBI Headquarters to have her finger prints taken and pose for a mug shot. Then Martha explained how to get ink off your fingers using seltzer water and lemon juice."
~Conan O'Brien

"I'm so degradetated. I owe at least a dozen limes."
~Amy March, "Little Women"

Ten minutes after I put up this post, I was looking through the USA Weekend newspaper and what recipe did they have in the CookSmart section? "Luscious Lemon Bars". And here is a video of Pam Anderson and her daughters:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin