187. My Christmas Baking has begun. These Pinwheel and Checkerboard Cookies recipe is from the Taste of Home recipes from the December/January issue from 2004.
Pinwheel & Checkerboard Cookies
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Red and green gel food coloring
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (optional)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into fourths. Tint one portion red and one portion green. Stir chocolate into another portion. Wrap chocolate and plain portions in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- For pinwheel cookies, divide red and green portions in half. Roll out each portion between waxed paper into a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper. Place one green rectangle over a red rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- For checkerboard cookies, divide plain and chocolate portions in half. Roll out each portion between waxed paper into a 6-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Cut each rectangle lengthwise into eight 1/2-in. strips. I like to use a plastic ruler to measure and use as a knife to cut each strip.
- Stack the strips in groups of four, alternating plain and chocolate strips and forming eight separate stacks.
- Form a four-stack block by alternating chocolate-topped and plain-topped stacks. Repeat. Press together gently. Wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Unwrap and cut pinwheel and checkerboard dough into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen pinwheel and 4 dozen checkerboard cookies.
"Love came down at Christmas; love all lovely, love divine;
love was born at Christmas, stars and angels gave the sign."
~ Christina G. Rossetti