Monday, March 1, 2010

Chicken Potpie

142. Now what could be better than a hot potpie on a snowy evening? My honey found a recipe in my current "Country Living" magazine, March 2010 issue on page 112, and suggested Chicken Potpie for dinner. While he cut up the veggies and prepared them, I made the crust and put it together. This was a very delicious recipe and one to make time and time again!
The filling was simple and I made my own pie crust recipe. You can find my recipe for pie crust on this post. I baked it in a 9"x13" glass dish and measured the top crust with the bottom of the pan. The recipe calls for a 12 inch cast-iron skillet.
Chicken Potpie
Country Living Magazine March 2010
page 112
Makes 8 servings
Working time: 25 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium carrots, sliced into coins
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 9inch pie crust
1 egg beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat butter in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until carrots begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in flour. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in heavy cream and broth, using a whisk, until combined. Stir in chicken, peas, and dill and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Gently roll out pie crust until it reaches 12 inches in diameter. Place dough atop chicken
mixture and brush with egg; cut vents in pastry.
Transfer skillet to oven; bake until crust is browned and flaky, about 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
" There is nothing better on a cold wintry day than a properly made pot pie. "
~Craig Claiborne
(I couldn't agree more)

6 comments:

Stephani said...

This does look wonderful! I've never made pot pie but would love to. This look like the recipe to try. Do you have the pie crust recipe for the one you made? It looks so flaky!

scribbler-unfocused said...

This is one of my favorite comfort foods. Yours looks fab! I wish my husband knew how to cut up veggies!

Scribbler

Michael Lee West said...

I love how this pie is filled with chicken--just layers and layers of goodness. I am entranced by the wonderful foodie pictures on your sidebar--and all of your wonderful St. Pat's dishes. Have a great, food-filled weekend!
gollum

Kathleen said...

I love chicken pot pie. Yours looks delicious!

elizabeth said...

Saw that you are following my blog...and when I clicked onto yours it was love at first sight! So now I'm following you! YaY!

francescbb@hotmail.es said...

Woww, Excellent shots!!

http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Frank

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin