Friday, April 23, 2021

Apricot Bars by Grammy Fitzgerald

417.  It was 1980, my college roommate had long beautiful hair and wore hand knit woolen sweaters.  We munched on homemade granola and other fine treats smuggled into our room made expertly by maternal family members.  One of those treats will forever be a delightful memory and truly a gift during those long, hungry stretches of time between breaks and money in the mail.
In my memory lingers the taste of "Grammy Fitzgerald's Apricot Bars"!  Perfection of sweetness, crunchiness, tartness, and dessert satisfaction, they were.  We would cut each into tiny pieces and portion out a small bite daily savoring every bite.  When the tin would grow lighter, it was washed and set aside to send back home for the next batch of delights.  And, I was so grateful to my roommate for sharing her trove.  It helped bring delight to those college famine days. 
It is hard to recollect my thinking for having the presence of mind to ask Grammy Fitzgerald for the recipe.  One of my hobbies over the years has been to collect recipes and recipe books.  I'm pleased to say after sending Grammy a note, she mailed the recipe to me in her own handwriting.  What a treasure!
This recipe was on my dessert menu for Easter and is a recipe to categorize under "Special".
This dessert brought many compliments.  

Here are a few pictures of my process.

"Did I offer peace today?  Did I bring a smile to someone's face?  Did I say words of healing?  Did I let go of my anger and resentment?  Did I forgive?  Did I love?  These are the real questions.  I must trust that the little bit of love that I sow now will bear many fruits, here in this world and the life to come."

~ Henri Nouwen

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin