Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Pickled Eggs


 413.  My Polish is showing again!  And it always seems to around Easter.  

One of my favorite items to enjoy with Easter Dinner is pickled eggs in beet brine.  While living on the East Coast it was always easy to find a jar in any market.  However, West Coast is proving to be very different and less cultured when it comes to international foods available.  

So how hard could it be to pickle my own eggs.  I decided to try!

I purchased small whole canned beets and boiled 6 eggs.  Or you can peel, slice and boil fresh beets and reserve the liquid.

First place the eggs in a large canning jar and the beets in a smaller canning jar.  Then make brine by pouring the beet juice into a small pot adding
 1 cup of white vinegar
 1/4 cup sugar,
 1 cup of water.  
Then place 1/4 teaspoon of ground mace
 2 teaspoons of pickling spices 
 4 whole cloves 
into a cheese cloth bouquet tied with cooking string and dropped into the liquid. Bring to a boil.
The magic happens once you pour the hot liquid over the eggs and beets.
It was necessary to add more juice from another can of beets.  Then, refrigerate for up to 1 week gently turning the jar from side to side daily to distribute the brine evenly.
I will not go back to a purchased product again.  And the compliments were very positive!
To serve, we placed them on a crudités platter.   And you can find my Crudités recipe Here.

"I love fresh beets!  It's not all about the fried chicken and biscuits."
~ Paula Deen

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin