Thursday, December 19, 2019

Gingerbread House

388.  Christmas isn't Christmas for me without lots of baking and new cookie recipes to try.  I often give my cookies away as gifts or hostess gifts when we are invited to a party.  It has been years since we made a Gingerbread House so it was time.  
I have a great recipe that has been tried and true over the years and it did not fail to produce again.
When the dough grows cool, I place it into the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up.  This helps with the rolling-out process.  And...we learned on Tasty to cut out the door and windows but not to remove them from the piece.  You can watch the video here:  Tasty The Ultimate Gingerbread House
 We also crushed Jolly Rancher candies and placed them in the openings to create a glass effect.
Tasty also suggested using brown paper bag as an additional support for the roof to stay together and in a peak.  Great idea!!
Meringue powder was a great way to make our icing glue.
 My daughter was the decorator while I baked other cookies.  The process was long but so worth it.  The house turned out perfect.  We place twinkle lights inside to illuminate the candy windows.


"I thought maybe we could make gingerbread houses, and eat cookie dough and go ice skating and maybe even hold hands."...
~the movie "Elf"

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin