Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Stuffed Zucchini

305.  Zucchini is such a bountiful diverse vegetable.  With such a mild flavor and texture, it can camouflage as sweet or savory.
 When a zucchini makes its way into my kitchen, my favorite way of preparing it is with a savory meat stuffing.
 I cut it length wise and scrape out the center seed section creating a trough.
 Next, ground meat is mixed with either 1 cup of rice or 1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs, 1 large egg, 1 large onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced, salt and pepper, parsley, ¼ cup parmesan cheese.  Mix together till blended.
 You can place the extra pieces of zucchini around the bottom of the baking dish.
 Fill the trough with the meat mixture and spread evenly mounding the meat.
 If there is extra meat I make meatballs and place them in the baking dish as well.
 I use marinara sauce, this sauce I canned this summer from my wonderful tomato harvest.
 I pour the sauce around the zucchini and lightly cover the meat.
 I cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.  Then remove the tinfoil and place mozzarella cheese across the meat and place it back in the oven till melted.
I serve it with pasta and the sauce from the baking dish.  The zucchini and meat render beautiful flavors into the sauce. It is delicious, hardy and a delightful spin on Italian meatloaf.  A one casserole meal.
"Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie."
~J. Davis

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin