Thursday, March 1, 2012

Apple and Raisin Oatmeal

263. Today I woke up hungry for a bowl of hot oatmeal. But not just plain oatmeal, oatmeal filled with happiness! My method to make oatmeal is very different from the typical preparation but I think it turns out perfect every time. I follow the directions by boiling the water first and then adding the dry oatmeal to the boiling water. But then I add a pinch of salt, bring the oatmeal back to a boil, stir and then shut the heat off and place a lid on the pot. I set the timer for 5 or so minutes and threaten anyone who dares lift the lid. When the oatmeal is ready, it is always perfect, not stuck to the bottom of the pot or boiled over the sides.

Today, I added a granny smith apple, chopped, cinnamon and 1/2 cup of raisins after the pinch of salt.
It turned out beautiful. I dotted each serving with butter and sprinkled the top with cinnamon and sugar dusting. The apple and raisins added such a natural sweetness, I didn't need to add any additional sugar.
So we sat, enjoying our oatmeal, fresh strawberries and sipped our tea. I wish every morning could be this relaxed and delicious!

"All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast."
~John Gunther

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin